Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Shawn Says

Two guest posts from Bobby, to start-

A couple nights ago I was getting Shawn ready for bed. Part of our bedtime routine is to say a prayer. I usually do a rather generic prayer along the lines of "Dear God, thank you for this day. Thank you for the food we ate today. Thank you for the time we spent with friends. I pray that we all have a good night's sleep tonight and have a good day tomorrow. In Your name we pray, amen." That night, however, Shawn sat down with me and started praying before I could. "Dear God, thank you for the food we ate" then he looked up at me and said "what else?" I told him that we could pray for some people we know that aren't feeling well. So, I proceeded to tell him about a friend whose niece wasn't feeling good and another friend whose aunt was sick. I also told him about a friend who is doing school and is getting ready for a big test. Shawn said "She do school like me?" He likes to get on his computer and go to a website to learn preschool stuff. I then said that I couldn't think of anyone else. 
Shawn: "Granddaddy!"
Me: "Oh yea!"
Shawn: "His face is all brown" Granddaddy had recently taken a tumble on a concrete floor and landed on his face. Literally his entire face is one big bruise. Shawn saw Granddaddy recently and remembered that his face was all bruised.
Me: "That's right. We pray for Granddaddy that his face heals up and that his dialysis goes well. Anybody else?"
Shawn: "Granny"
Me: "We also pray for Granny that she is able to take care of Granddaddy and his dialysis. In Your name we pray, Amen"
Shawn: "Amen"


Shawn got a new toy truck with his meal at Wendy's yesterday. Emily had put it together and added the stickers that it came with. Shawn was playing with this truck in his bed tonight at bedtime while I was in the living room.
Shawn: "Daddy. Daddy?! Get the stickers off"
Emily (quietly to me, mostly joking): "No, I worked so hard to get them on."
Me (after entering the room): "Let me see." ("trying" to get the stickers off) "I can't get them off. Mommy did such a good job that they won't come off."
Shawn: "They are very sticky! They are attached."

Now my turn-
Monday, Shawn was extra silly.
In the car, out of nowhere "Hey Mommy, I like to eat boogers."
At dinner, again, out of nowhere "Hey Dad, sometimes dogs poopy. Sometimes cats poop. Sometimes everybody poops.

Yesterday, Shawn woke up earlier than he should have from his nap. I told him he still had to lay there quietly and rest because it was still my quiet time. He looked me straight in the eyes and very seriously said, "I'm not tired anymore. Mommy. Look into my eyes. They aren't tired anymore. (pointing) Only this one was tired, and now it is not."

Today, we went to the doctors office. As we were leaving the check-out nurse gave us a basket of stickers to look through. I saw one with this cricket on it.


Me: Shawn, this one has a bug on it!
S: No, Mommy. That is a cricket.

Later, while I was driving to the eye doctor, I had an itch on my head. I scratched it. Shawn apparently saw this through his mirror. (He still rear faces. Safety first!) 
S: Mommy, you're not holding that wheel correctly.
Me: (putting my hand back on the wheel.) Oh, is this better? You prefer when I use two hands?
S: Yep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment