Two nights ago, we went on a walk around our circle, as we often do. The moon and the sun were both out. I showed Shawn, who seemed uninterested. Five minutes later..
Shawn stopped, pointed at the sky- "Moon!!"
Bobby- "yep, that is the moon."
Shawn reaches as high as he can- "get it!" He realized that he couldn't quite reach it, turned to Bobby, "care" (carry) Shawn reached some more. "Get it!" When he realized that even when Bobby was holding him that he couldn't reach "Daddy, get it!!" After Bobby tried and couldn't reach it "Mommy, get it!" I couldn't reach it either. We informed him that he could become an astronaut and go get the moon when he grows up. He seemed satisfied.
I love my sweet boy for dreaming big, and reaching for the moon. I pray that he always has a spirit of willingness to try, and figuring out what it takes.
There is a video at the library that is by Eric Carle that includes his 1986 book titled Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me. The video is called The Very Hungry Caterpillar and it includes several books. I think Shawn would love it. Aideen watched it over and over. She kept commenting "I can't reach it (the moon)."
ReplyDeleteAshley